Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Document: Letter to MPs about Afghanistan mission

I sent the below letter to MPs in response to the fact that a vote on Afghanistan is happening today.

Dear Honourable Member of Parliament,

I am deeply concerned about Canadian troops in Afghanistan. According to a recent Strategic Council poll 54% of Canadian oppose Canadian soldiers being there, yet despite this Parliamentarians have not represented Canadian views. The reasons that Canadian citizens are given for the mission also is not true. Women's rights are far from protected as reported by the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan who was called the "only credible voice of Afghan women" according to CBC on November 19th, 2001.

Who we are working with in Afghanistan is also troubling. It has been widely reported that we are working with warlords and drug lords. The drug lords have increase opium production to 87% of the world opium trade according to the UN Office of Drugs and Crime. The Karzai government is also known to torture detainees. With Canada's continued involvement this will only lead to more deaths of our brave soldiers and possible complicity in War Crimes. I implore you to actually listen to Canadian citizens and support our troops by bringing them home. Democracy is also supposed to work on foreign policy.

Sincerely,
Aurora Jade Pichette
Concerned Canadian Citizen

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

Thanks. Hopefully the protest winds up being at least decent. We only have 24 hours notice and no sound system. I'll write a report of it after it happens.

1:28 a.m.  
Blogger Jade said...

I'm a happy entrepreneur and have a 8.1 CGPA in university without being a workoholic. I don't need any self-help books, I'll stick to intelligent books where I can actually learn things. Maybe you should take your own advice.

Although "Who Moved my Cheese" is amusing I remember my father listening to the audiobook when I was growing up.

9:58 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home